Friday, April 19, 2013

FLOOD!

Okay, what I have to say today isn't Percy Jackson related.

So the day before yesterday my family added 12 little peeping baby chickens to our garage. They're in a box untill they get bigger and it had been raining non-stop all day.
On the same day we also got 7 laying hens and 2 roosters (two more than we wanted.)
Then yesterday morning I wake up to the calves (baby cows) across the street mooing like mad and our roosters crowing repeatedly.
So I go look out the window in the front of our house and I see that the pasture across the street has flooded and now there's a huge lake there. I'm not sure how deep it was but it covered the tires of one of the farm trucks.
So there were a bunch of farmers out at nine in the morning rescuing the baby cows becuase their enclosure was flooding.  Two of the farms forklifts got stuck in the water. I went outside and walked toward the road to see that it had an inch or two of water over part of the road down by the farm buildings. I walked down to the creek to see how high it was and it had risen out of it's banks on one side and was almost out of the banks on the side my house is on (but our house is not near the creek).
I saw one lady using a mop to try and keep water out of her basement and her house wasn't close to the creek either.
One house is super close to the creek and the family was outside watching the water, but I think they stayed dry.
Next I walked back to see how high the creek was on my family's property but there was water over the path before I even got into the woods and since I wasn't wearing good boots and I didn't know how deep it was I didn't get back to the creek.
We were supposed to get 3 more inches of rain last night but we didn't. Thank goodness.
The water has gone down and is no longer covering the road.

I did hear that one of my friends had two inches of water in their basement and they don't even live by a creek or a river or the lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment