Friday, February 21, 2014

2/21/2014

I've been a little distracted lately *sigh* but here's the next instalment of Second Generation Demigods. They keep getting longer, lol. The instalment before this one was 700 something words and this one is 900 something.

  “Stay here.” Mallory told Helen and Hannah, “I’ll be right back.” She ran after Ben and quickly caught up to him. “Why are you so upset?” she asked, “There’s nothing wrong with Hades.”
  “Hades is fine.” Ben said. “It’s my dad that I’m mad at.”
“Why?”
  “He doesn’t care about me. He just brought me here so he wouldn’t have to deal with me.”
Mallory frowned, how was she supposed to respond to that?
    “Why would he bring me here when he didn’t even stay here as a kid?” Ben asked.
“Maybe because he loves you and wants you to be safe? I know that’s why every demigod is here: someone loves them and wants them to be safe.”
  Ben walked a little faster as they neared cabin thirteen. “I doubt it. Now leave me alone.” He seemed eager to get inside and hide away.
  “Wait!”
Ben paused with his hand on the doorknob. “What?”
  “You’ll be sharing the cabin.” Mallory blurted.
“What?” Ben seemed dumbfounded. “Yeah, right.”
  “I’m not lying.” Protested Mallory. “There is another Hades camper, her name is Mary and she’s not very nice.”
  “Uh huh.” Ben was just about to open the cabin door when it opened from the inside revealing a tall girl with inky hair and pale skin. “She’s not lying.” The girl said with a smirk. “This is my cabin, little boy, are you sure you belong here?”
  Mallory was about to tell Mary to buzz off but then Ben met Mary’s glare and said, “As far as my dad is concerned I belong here, so it looks like you’ll have to share your cabin.”
   Mary arched an eyebrow, most younger campers didn’t stand up to her. “Just remember who’s in charge around here.” She said as she walked outside and headed off toward the woods, “Not all older campers are as accommodating as I am.”
   “Great, you’ve made her mad.” Said Mallory. “That’s going to be the death of you.”
“Thanks for showing me around but I don’t need you to defend me.” Said Ben as he stepped over the threshold into the cabin. Mallory stood there bewildered by his rudeness as he shut the door in her face.
   “So polite.” She muttered as she walked back to Hannah and Helen.
“Where’s Ben?” Helen asked.
  “Um, he’s all settled in to his cabin.” Said Mallory.
“Are we going to get some fresh clothes and a shower?” asked Hannah, “Because I’ve walked a long way to get here and I’m feeling nasty.”
   Mallory nodded, “After the tour I’ll try and find some clothes for you guys and then you can take a shower. Most first time campers don’t arrive with clothes and stuff since they get chased by monsters the whole way here and don’t get to pack. Some of the older campers will have stuff that you can borrow.” She looked over the girls. Hannah was stick thin and was probably about the same size as herself but there was no way that anything of hers would fit Helen. It wasn’t that Helen was fat, she just had more shape than either Hannah or Mallory.
  “I probably have something that will fit you.” Mallory told Hannah. “But we’ll have to look around for something for you.” She told Helen.
  “If first year campers don’t have a lot of stuff how come you have clothes to share?” Hannah asked, “I mean, you don’t look older than us.”
    Mallory nodded, “Yeah, I’m twelve and this is my first year. But campers with demigod parents know all about camp and can be prepared to go when it’s time.” She smiled, “Now come with me and I’ll get you guys some clothes.” Mallory lead the way to the Athena cabin where her clothes and things had already been dropped off by her parents.  On the way she explained about the different gods and cabins. “Each cabin is suited to the god or goddess it was made for.  Poseidon’s cabin is sea-like, Demeter’s has vines growing up the sides and a glass roof like a greenhouse. Apollo’s cabin is gold and reflects the sun and Aphrodite’s cabin is basically a frilly pink dollhouse. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.” She added.
      They stopped in front of a sandstone building. “This is cabin six, Athena. We have so many books, maps and battle plans that we hardly have room for bunks.” Mallory opened the door and led the girls inside. Mallory found her bag on one of the top bunks, quickly she riffled through for a pair of jeans and a shirt for Hannah. “These will do for now. You’ll have to make do until you can get some more clothes.” She said as she handed them to Hannah.
   “What about me?” Helen asked.
“We’re going to go talk to my friend Cassandra.” Said Mallory with a grin. “There are always clothes in the Aphrodite cabin.”
   As they walked down the row of cabins Mallory pointed out the bathrooms to Hannah, “All cabins have certain shower schedules but campers who have just arrived are allowed to take a shower no matter whose cabin has the current slot. So you can go ahead and take one, just hurry because there’s only 45 minutes until dinner.”
  “Okay, but where is dinner?” Hannah asked.
Mallory pointed toward the dining pavilion, “It’s over there in that pavilion, just follow the masses of campers when you hear the horn.”
  Hannah smiled, “Thanks!” she ran toward the showers.
“And then there were two.” Said Helen.
  Mallory laughed, “Come on, if we hurry you can take a shower before dinner too.”

No comments:

Post a Comment